The school was first organized in 1899. The current law building, the William H. Gates Hall , was completed and occupied in September 2003, funded by and named after William H. Gates Sr. , the father of Microsoft -founder Bill Gates . Its architecture is modern and energy-efficient, with windows and skylights allowing natural light to fill the library and corridors. The school was previously located in the second Condon Hall from 1974-2003, located several blocks west of the main campus. From 1933-74 the law school occupied the first Condon Hall in The Quad, which was renamed " Gowen Hall " in 1974.